Latha loved gardening. Even in her 70s, she would get up at dawn to tend to her green nursery. One such day, as she was grafting a rose, she fainted. Her in-house patient caretaker in Chennai rushed her to the hospital. There, the doctors said that Latha had had a mini-stroke and would require a few days of in-patient care. While Latha got the best treatment and recovered quickly, can you imagine how much a week’s private hospitalization in a metro city like Chennai might have cost?
Fortunately, Latha’s daughter had bought a health insurance plan for her. It took care of the expenses. The co-payment, or the portion of the bill that Latha had to shoulder, was considerably low. Even her after-care at home was partially taken care of by the insurer.
Latha’s daughter was smart enough to buy health insurance for her parents. Yet, in India, not many seniors, or their wards, understand the importance of having health insurance. A survey found that only 18% of seniors between 60-70 years have health insurance coverage.
Why Elders Must Have Health Insurance
With greater age, comes a greater need for regular health checkups. But, after retirement, without a steady source of income, healthcare expenses, and home nursing service in Chennai can put a considerable strain on the bank account. Having health insurance for seniors ensures:
- Financial independence
- Cost savings in regular checkups
- A solid backup plan for emergencies
- A smooth, convenient, and hassle-free claim settlement process
- Tax benefits
Why then are Indian seniors so under-insured? Sometimes, it is because they believe that they are fit. Many think health insurance is a waste of money. Some even refrain from getting insured because they find the policies too complex to deal with. However, these reasons are just myths. For instance, Alserv helps seniors pick out relevant policies. Our knowledgeable relationship managers also ensure that a senior’s needs are considered carefully before suggesting the perfect policy that covers all essential aspects. Here are some that we suggest:
Top Health Insurance Plans for Seniors
Age: 46-70 years
Sum assured: Rs. 50,000 – Rs. 5,00,000
- Covers pre-and post-hospitalization expenses
- Ambulance charges up to Rs. 1,000
- Pre-existing illnesses after a year
- Free annual health check-up
- Is customizable to your needs
Sum assured: Rs. 10,00,000 – Rs. 25,00,000
- Has three options – Standard, Classic, and Premier
- Covers basics like hospitalization, ambulance, and ICU charges
- Home treatment cover is available for a specified limit
- Organ donor expenses under Classic and Premier packages.
Sum Assured: Rs. 3,00,000 – Rs. 10,00,000
- Pre- and post-hospitalization expenses, ICU coverage
- Ambulance cover up to Rs. 2,000
- Annual health checkup
- No Pre-Policy Medical Check-up
- Second opinion charges covered
Sum Assured: Rs. 2,00,000 – Rs. 5,00,000
- In-patient treatment, daycare procedures and pre-and post-hospitalization expenses
- Ambulance expenses up to Rs. 2,000
- Pre-existing conditions covered after 3 years
- E-opinion also covered
The ideal life is an insured life…
Investing in a health insurance policy for senior citizens can be one of the best investments to make in your senior years. Additionally, Alserv’s emergency medical and on-call services can help with quick connections. We have partnered with government emergency services to ensure that all our seniors get immediate help in case of a health scare.
For the best elder care services in Chennai, contact us.